Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend in Seattle

Two weeks ago I got the chance to visit the Seattle Art Museum, known as SAM. Previously I talked about my upcoming trip in this post, "Daft Punk Vrs. Michael Jackson? Six Minutes of Joy!"

The museum was wonderful. In addition to the overwhelming amount of Picasso artwork, there were pieces by Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol and Jeff Koons. All artists that I enjoy, and am slowly gaining appreciation for. Koons is one that puzzles me. His artwork covers such varied subjects and is done in such different styles that I can can like and respect some of his pieces and be disgusted by others.

Tulips by Jeff Koons
In addition to wonderful, SAM was overwhelming and exhausting.  I was asleep by early in the evening back at the very comfortable hotel bed.  I am one of those strange people that enjoy everything about hotels, even the beds.

But I didn't just go to Seattle and view only art.  I also got to wander around the town, something I have not done for twelve years.  Pikes Place Market is just as much fun as I remember, even without lots of fish flying through the air.  One of the major fish throwing booths was closed for renovations, or something silly like that.


After wandering around back and forth we finally found Pikes Place Public Market.  Joy!  Notice how it's a beautiful day for being January and Seattle.  No rain makes it a nice day at that time of year.


The smell of fresh seafood filled the air.  For me the smell of the sea and fresh ocean fish is a shocking, but refreshing smell.  I envision smelling salts smelling the same.


In addition to the seafood there are lines of fresh produce.  It's so...refreshing!


Kumquats.  $5.95 a pound.  They also make for a lovely picture.


This woman makes and sells instruments.  My Father recently found a flute that she purchased from her about fourteen years ago.  She is playing an Ocarina, an instrument from the Legend of Zelda.


Stunning buildings.  I could just wander downtown Seattle for days and be happy taking pictures of buildings.


And finally, a stunning picture of the waterfront and downtown, taken from the top of the Space Needle.  It was my first time up, and it was very nice.  But I'm glad someone else paid for me to go to the top, the experience does not seem worth the $18 price tag.

It was a great weekend vacation, and I would love to do it again sometime, with more than a day to explore downtown Seattle.



No comments:

Post a Comment